If you are interested in some typical Bengali food then here is the right choice that I can offer. If you want to have something spicy, something really jhaal ( spicy), then this is the right choice. And I promise that it will make your mouth waters. Its one of the most preferred menu at my home.
I owe this to my mother in law from whom I have learnt and trust me she cooks it best. The best part of this recipe is that you can prepare Brinjal Jalfrezi with same ingredient which you normally use daily in your kitchen.
Brinjal Jhal Frezi
Ingredients & Quantity: – Serving – 6 person
- Brinjal (Medium Size ) – 400 gm ( 5 piece medium sizes )
- Green Chilly – 4 standard sized
- Tomato – 1 large
- Mustard seeds ( sarson )– 25 gm
- Mustard Oil (I think cooking oil is a better option)
- Salt - as per taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Sugar – half tsp
- Nigella seeds (Kala Jeera) – 1 tsp
Brinjal Jhal Frezi ingredients
- Cut Brinjal in small pieces lengthwise and marinate with Turmeric powder, Salt & Sugar for half an hour.
- Mustard seeds should be soaked for at least 20 minutes before you start the preparation.
- Cut Tomato into small pieces.
- Grind the Mustard to fine paste with 2 standard size green chilly in a mixer. Make sure that the paste is thick enough, not watery.
- Heat oil in a Kadai or frying pan, add Kala zira & sauté it for few seconds.
- Put the Brinjal in the Kadai & fry it in medium heat until the oil gets separated form it.
- Add Tomato & two pieces of green chilly and sauté it for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Mix the mustard paste into it & add some water if required.
- Stir it for 3 – 4 minutes in low heat.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped coriander leaves.
* Tips – those who like some variations or prefer curd can also try the preparation with curd (25 gm) in place of tomato.
Brinjal Jhalfreezi tastes great with Rice, also will work as a delicious side dish with Chapatti or Parata.
Try this recipe, and do post your comments about how you liked it, as per me this is the best dish which can be prepared out of brinjal.