Though it has been always possible to check any train running status in India from a long time but there is always a small delay in status update of where the train is. The only drawback of this was if it takes you at least an hour or more than that by the time you reach station the train is possibly delayed and you need to hold back at the station for quite sometime. It happened with me yesterday when Kalka was late and it was only updated after we left.
Keeping this in mind, Simran ( Real Time Train Running Information ) or RTTRI is a brand new and very appreciative effort from IIT Kanpur and Indian Railways which helps you see the current status of Indian Trains live. As of now you can see selected trains (12003, 12004, 12301, 12302, 12305, 12306, 12313, 12314, 12951, 12952, 12953, 12954) live status only.
The only drawback that you need to refresh this page every time you want fresh data. I am surprised why it is not ajax or Auto Refreshed.
What you can see and track :
- For Trains listed you can see Train Next Station, Nearest Station which can be crossed or approaching, speed of the train and last updated time.
- If you click on the Train Name you can see the coach position. Useful for somebody is coming to receive you.
- You can also know if the train was diverted of the current route
- Legends Used RD: Route Diversion RT:Right Time DR:Destination Reached DT:Departure Time LT:Late Time S:Standing R:Reached AP:Approaching Station
Find Live Train Status by SMS :
If you do not have access to internet, you can find the current status by sending an SMS to 09415213409 or 09415213493 as “T <Train No>” and You will get a reply in format ”On Train Near < Station Name > from , is < Train Status > info : IITK / RDSO”
What else is there ?
- You can see details of when the train reached a particular station and left from there if you click on Train Number.
- You can find the coach position if you click on the train name.
- If you click on the station name, it will give you a map of the station.
- If you click on nearest Station Name you will see detailed map of all the stops in graphical format. Hovering over ach station you will see Station Name, Division and Zone.
- You can also see distance between two stations.