Banana Tree not only gives you useful banana but most of the part of banana tree is edible. Today we would take up the inner stem of banana which is very rich in fiber. The dish is called as Thoder Dish which is basically a rich fibrous and spicy dish and definitely goes well with Rice.
This banana stem can be found in market easily and it looks like a off white thick stick. Here is a snapshot which I took when I was in the market :
Ingredients & Quantity: – Serving – 4 person
- Thod ( banana stem )– 250 gm
- Gobind bhog chawal – 2 tbsp
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Garam masala (powder) – ¾ of a tsp
- Bay Leaves ( Tej Patta )
- Salt ( as per taste )
- Sugar ( as per taste )
- Turmeric powder – half tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
How to prepare Thod-er Dish ?
- Tear off the outer layer of the banana stem as shown in the image.
- Peel, wash and cut the stick into roundels.While cutting the roundels you need to take out the threads from the stem as shown in the image with the help of your index finger.
- Cut the roundels into half moon and then into thin pieces length wise. Simultaneously put it into water to avoid from getting colour change.
- Drain the water, put some salt and mash it with your fingers properly.
- Heat oil in a non stick or kadai. Put bay leaf and sauté’ for few seconds.Add gobinda bhog chawal and stir fry for two minutes.
- Add ginger paste, red chilly, turmeric powder and cumin powder and continue to cook for another coupe of minutes. Please keep the heat low
- Add the chopped banana stem and mix it well. Cover the non stick pan or kadai with a lid for half an hour but keep stirring at regular intervals for better results. Keep the heat at moderate temperature.
- Sprinkle garam masala and add ghee. Mix well and serve hot.
Mom’s Food Tip : – If the banana stem is fresh it will leave some water while cooking. If it is so then you can add less water than normal.
And there you go, A spicy banana dish is ready along with your delicious meal. Enjoy it!!