Today,the World is celebrating Breast feeding week ( August 1 -7). Breast feeding is the first thing that every newly born baby wants to do. It is the feeding of an infant or young child with breast milk directly from female human breasts rather than from a baby bottle or other container. Babies have a sucking reflex that enables them to suck and swallow milk.
According to the experts:
Breast feeding is very important for the newly born baby to keep them healthy and if all babies are breast fed within an hour of birth, thousands of neo-natal deaths can be reduced.The first milk, is a vital factor in preventing common illnesses including diarrhoea and respiratory tract infection, ear and urinary tract infections for the baby.
Breast feeding also helps the mother in the following ways:
- It reduces the risk for blood loss after delievery
- It can prevent the mother from infectious diseses, breast and ovarian cancer.
- It prevent the deficiency of iron
- It helps the mother to get back the pre pregnancy shape and weight.
Mother’s milk has got the right proportion of all nutrients like water, proteins, minerals, carbohydrates and antibodies.Second thing is that it is easily digestible as against the formula milk and breast fed babies are less likely to be obese in later life. Breastfeeding releases hormones that relax the mother and make her feel more nurturing toward her baby and it helps the baby to make strengthen towards the maternal bond.
Things you should know before breast feeding:
- Breast feeding should be on demand as often as the child wants day and nigh.
- It is advised that donn’t clean or wash the nipples with soap as it can take away the natural oils, just clean it with the lukewarm water.
- Breast feeding mother should avoid to eat spicy food, smoking and drinks.
- Babies can breastfeed for about 5 to 10minutes on each breast.
- Keep special attention to the baby at the time of breast feeding.