Anti-obesity day will be held on 26th of November, its a good and the right time to pay attention and consider how what we eat today is shaping our nation’s tomorrow. Do you know the meaning of obesity and its effect? Let me help you to know more about it.
Meaning of Obesity:
Obesity is a state in which there is a generalized accumulation of excess fat in a dispose tissue in the body leading to more than 20% of the desirable weight.An obese person has accumulated so much body fat that it might have a negative effect on their health.
Causes of obesity:
- Obesity and over-weight are caused by a chronic imbalance between energy intake and energy expenditure.
- High intake of dietary fat also causes obesity.
- Poor exercise and sedentary lifestyle are the main causes for obesity.
- Complex behavior and psychological factors also cause over-eating and thus lead to obesity.
- Metabolic errors in energy utilization may favour fat accumulation.
- Obesity in childhood and adolescence can lead to adult obesity
What should be your Standard body weight:
One of the best tool to measure your standard body weight is the calculation of your Body Mass Index (BMI) .It can be obtained dividing weight in kilogram by the square of the height in meter. If your BMI is
- less than 18.5, it means your body will said to be undernourished,
- if it is more than 25 it is said to be overweight, and
- if it is more than 30 it means you are obese.
Ways to control obesity:
- Eat less fried food, avoid spicy food.
- Eat fruits and green vegetables as more as possible.
- Use low fat milk, butter,and oil
- Involve yourself in the physical activity.
- Eat small amount of food at frequent interval of time.
- Avoid stressful life and drink 8-10 glasses of water.
- Most important, think positive and keep happy.
Reason behind to observe Anti-obesity day:
Obesity may cause Heart disease, blood pressure, joints problems, Sleep disorder,respiratory problem etc. To avoid all these problems and to create an awareness among the people of India about the over-weight and their hazard effect, 26th of November is observed as Anti-obesity day.
So what do you think? | Know more about Obesity at WHO