PAN and TAN numbers are essential in India when it comes to Income Tax. PAN is useful for those who file income tax, while TAN is for those who deduct TDS from salaries. In this post, we will share how you can get or apply for a PAN number and a TAN number online in India.
How to apply for a PAN and TAN number Online
- Apply for Permanent Account Number or PAN
- Authorized Agents
- Apply for Pan Card Online
- Request for correction i.e. changes in Photo, Signature, Address, etc.
- Apply for TAN
How to get a Permanent Account Number or PAN
PAN is crucial when filing your income tax as it is mandatory to mention it when you file a return. Now it has become so necessary that you need it while making a substantial cash deposit in banks or even while opening a new bank account.
Note: As per provisions of Section 272B of the Income Tax Act., 1961, a penalty of ₹ 10,000 can be levied on possession of more than one PAN.
1] Authorized Agents
You can get a PAN from an authorized franchise or agent as appointed by National Securities Department Ltd or the Unit Trust of Indian Investors Services Ltd. To apply for PAN, you will need to fill in form number 49A to one of these services centers or ask the authorized agent to give on behalf of you.
You will have to give documents like Proof of Address, Proof of Personal Identity, which could be your passport. In case you are doing it for a company you will need to give a certified copy of the certificate of registration, proof of your company address also.
2] Apply for PAN card online
Government has made it easy if you want to apply for a new PAN card online or make corrections in the existing one. You dont need to an agent, if you know how to use the internet, and some basic things on the computer. Apart from you can always find someone to help you. If you have access to the internet, make sure to try to apply for PAN online at least once.
Government has an online portal where you can apply for a new PAN card, apply for changes in the PAN card. Fill in your details accordingly.
- Fill in necessary information such as Name, DOB, Company name, Email id, and Phone number.
- After you submit the details, it will generate a Token Number. The same is sent to your email account. Make sure to keep it safe.
- Click on continue with PAN application form. Post this it will take you through a series of steps to fill in the following information
- You can submit documents in multiple ways.
- Scanned Images through e-Sign
- Forward application documents physically
- Personal Details: It includes the option to get a physical PAN card, link Aadhar number, Name change information, Maternal side details, etc.
- Contact and other details: Here you need to enter
- Source of Income
- Address for communication
- Residence and Office Address
- Telephone number and email id
- If you are Appointing Representative Assessee.
- Next, you need to fill in the AO Code. It is a combination of Area Code, AO Type, Range Code, and AO Number. Applicants for PAN are required to provide the AO code in their application. This information can be obtained from the Income Tax Office. Applicants may search their AO Codes based on description wherever provided.
- Next, you need to give information about the documents you have submitted — address proof, DOB proof, identity proof, and so on.
- You can submit documents in multiple ways.
- Once you submit the form, it should take a week, and the PAN card will be delivered to your address.
Note: You will have to pay online if there are any charges includes.
3] Apply for changes in PAN Card or Reprint of PAN Card
The portal can be used to make changes in your existing PAN card or if you want another copy of PAN card to be delivered to your address. At the same portal, select the option which says Changes or Correction in PAN Card or Reprint PAN card.
While the process remains mostly the same, you have a few essential options.
- You can choose to use the photograph as available in Aadhaar shall be printed on the PAN Card. If you have been lucky, choose this.
- If you choose no, then you need to upload a photograph using eKYC or NSDL e-SIgn.
- You need to select a reason for the change. The following options are offered:
- Photo Mismatch
- Signature Mismatch
- Details of Parents (Applicable only for Individual applicants)
- NSDL e-Sign is charged Rs 5.9 as of now
- You can upload a scanned copy of a photo and signature
Once you submit everything, your PAN card will be digitally corrected, and use all the data you provide to generate a new PAN card.
Related: How to verify the validity of PAN
How to Apply for a TAN or Tax Account Number Online
TAN or Tax Account Number is required if you are going to deduct income taxes at source, for example, an employer deduct a certain amount of his employee’s salary which is called a TDS or Tax Deducted as Source. Under the Income Tax Act, any company or person collecting or deducting tax at source must apply for TAN.
To apply for TAN, you will have to fill in form no 49B where you can apply for Individual level or company level. The form should be submitted at any TIN (Tax Information Network ) Facilitation center that is authorized to receive e-TDS returns.
We hope this post was useful to help you apply for a PAN TAN number online in India. If there are any doubts feel free to ask in the comments.