On December 20, 2021. The government of India passed an Election laws amendment bill where the government stated that the Indian Citizens would have to Link Aadhaar with Voter ID. It will make the documentation process and updating the details a lot easier. As of now, the government has made it an entirely voluntary process. The government has stated that no suspension of EPIC number will be done if the Aadhaar number is not linked to Voter ID.
The Aadhaar card and its technology have been among the most significant technological advancements in recent years. Aadhaar card has brought the identity of citizens of this country under one roof. Previously, to provide valid identity proof, you had to present different types of ids physically, but now, one Aadhaar card does the job. More and more IDs are being linked to Aadhaar cards, making it very easy for the citizens to provide all the ids with only Aadhaar numbers.
The process for linking Aadhaar with Voter ID is straightforward, and in this article, we will tell you about the whole process of Linking Aadhaar with Voter ID. Please make sure you read this article until the end to understand better.
Complete Process Of Linking Aadhaar With Voter ID
Linking Aadhaar with Voter ID is a straightforward process, and it hardly takes minutes to do so. The process can be done entirely online or through the local Booth level officers. We suggest you complete the process online or by SMS as it is convenient and can be done with the convenience of your home.
Follow these steps to link Aadhaar with Voter ID online:
- Go to the Election portal of the central government.
- You have to log in to the portal with your mobile number or email. If you don’t have an account with the E-election portal, you can also create one by providing basic details like Full name, Email address, and mobile number. A signup option can be found below the login area.
- Upon logging in, provide information like State, district, full name, father’s name. These details should match exactly with the ones on your Aadhaar. Click on the search button. If the details are valid, they will pop up.
- You will now see a Feed Aadhaar No or Aadhaar option on the left side. Click on that and put details like Full name, Aadhaar number, Voter Id number, registered mobile number, and email in the form.
- Recheck the details and click submit. A message saying your application has been registered will be displayed on the screen.
Link via Phone
Your Aadhaar number can also be linked to your Voter Id via phone. You can follow these steps:
- Call 1950 from your Aadhaar registered mobile number.
- The Election commission’s helpline is available from 10 AM to 5 PM on weekdays.
- Do as guided on the call to register your Aadhaar with Voter Id, you will reach a helpline operative.
- Ask the helpline operative to link your Aadhaar details with your Voter ID and provide all the details asked for.
If you think the online or on phone processes are too complicated for you and want to go the traditional way, you can do that as well. All you need to do is reach out to the BLO (Booth level officer) with a written application citing all the necessary details we mentioned in this article. You also need to attach self-attested photocopies of Aadhaar and Voter ID along with the application, and the application needs to be submitted personally. The process can take over a week, and you will get the confirmation on your registered number.
There are countless advantages and a few disadvantages to linking Aadhaar with Voter IDs. Let’s look at some:
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Linking Aadhaar With Voter ID
Below are some of the advantages and disadvantages of linking Aadhaar with voter ID:
- The process is easy and can be done online.
- Linking the Voter ID with Aadhaar makes the documentation a lot easier.
- The process discourages malicious practices during the election. It will prevent the forgery of votes.
- Saves time and money for the government.
- A step towards Digital India.
- The online process is not feasible for everyone in the country.
- People fear the piracy of data.
- The Election commission has previously lost the electoral data of around one crore citizens because of a data breach relating to Aadhaar linking previously.
Is It Mandatory To Link Aadhaar With Voter ID?
No, as of now, the government has made it voluntary for the citizens to link Aadhaar with voter ID and has stated that no voter ID termination will occur if Aadhaar is not linked. Linking Aadhaar has been going on since 2015 but was paused since 2018 due to some legal reasons.
When Is The Last Date For Linking Aadhaar With Voter ID?
The process has just restarted, so there is no last date for it. Even when the government declares the last date for the process, the remaining citizens will have sufficient time before the process ends.
The world is getting digital, and so is India. As citizens, we should make our work and country a part of the global digital race. More and more government services will get online in the upcoming years, and we should all be up and welcoming for them.