If you are interested in some typical Bengali food then here is the right choice that I can offer. If you want to have something spicy, something jhaal ( spicy), then this is the right choice. And I promise that it will make your mouth waters. It’s one of the most preferred menus at my home. In this post, I will share how to Brinjal Jalfrezi and the recipe.
I owe this to my mother in law from whom I have learned and trust me; she cooks it best. The best part of this recipe is that you can prepare Brinjal Jalfrezi with the same ingredient which you usually use daily in your kitchen.
How to make Brinjal Jalfrezi (Recipe)
Ingredients & Quantity: – Serving – 6 person
- Brinjal (Medium Size) – 400 gm (5 piece medium sizes)
- Green Chilly – 4 standard sized
- Tomato – 1 large
- Mustard seeds (Sarson)– 25 gm
- Mustard Oil (I think cooking oil is a better option)
- Salt – as per taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Sugar – half tsp
- Nigella seeds (Kala Jeera) – 1 tsp
Related: English name of Indian Spices and Ingredients.
Preparation for Brinjal Jhalfrezi
- Cut Brinjal in small pieces lengthwise and marinate with Turmeric powder, Salt & Sugar for half an hour.
- Mustard seeds should be soaked for at least 20 minutes before you start the preparation.
- Cut Tomato into small pieces.
- Grind the Mustard to a fine paste with two standard-size green chilly in a mixer. Make sure that the paste is thick enough, not watery.
- Heat oil in a Kadai or frying pan, add Kala Zira & sauté it for few seconds.
- Put the Brinjal in the Kadai & fry it on medium heat until the oil gets separated from it.
- Add Tomato & two pieces of green chilly and sauté it for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Mix the mustard paste into it & add some water if required.
- Stir it for 3 – 4 minutes on low heat.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped coriander leaves.
* Tips – those who like some variations or prefer curd can also try the preparation with curd (25 gm) in place of tomato.
Brinjal Jhalfreezi tastes great with Rice, also will work as a delicious side dish with Chapatti or Parata. Try this recipe, and do post your comments about how you liked it. As per me, this is the best dish which can be prepared out of brinjal.
I came across your blog through twitter. You have got a really nice blog here.
I love the taste of aubergine and mustard, and prepare this often at home. But I like putting a little of poppy along with the mustard.