Kolkata metro is the first underground metro introduced in India. This is one of the easiest and fastest mean of traveling for the people of Kolkata. The foundation stone of the project was laid by Smt. Indira Gandhi the then Prime Minister of India, on December 29, 1972, and the construction work started in 1973.
How New Token Ticket by Kolkata Metro Works :
After the huge success of metro, now the metro railway is finally switching from the conventional turnstiles for entry and exit to advanced, flap-style gates that accept only tokens and smart cards. The smart card will based on the Radio frequency Identification Technology (RFID). Smart card can be used for single, double or multiple ride.
The Token is round and will have to be placed or bought near the sensor to pass through and when returning it has to be dropped back into the slots. This system is already working in the Delhi metro and is mere replacement of the Ticket System. The advantage here is that tokens will be reused hence saving paper which also reduces chance of damage done to the paper pasted tickets.
This disadvantage of this token system is that it can be used only for one ride for multiple rides the concept of smart card will be introduced.
What if you lose the Token ?
In case the commuter looses the token he or she will have to pay hefty fine of 250 rs.
Timelines of the metro in Kolkata:
- October 24, 1984: Esplanade – Bhowanipur (now Netaji Bhaban) (3.4 km)
- November 12, 1984: Dum Dum – Belgachhia (2.15 km)
- April 29, 1986: Bhowanipur (now Netaji Bhaban) – Tollygunge (now Mahanayak Uttam Kumar) (4.25 km)
- August 13, 1994: Dum Dum – Shyambazar (3.8 km)
- October 2, 1994: Esplanade – Chandni Chowk (0.7 km)
- February 19, 1995: Shyambazar – Girish Park (1.9 km) and Chandni Chowk – Central (0.6 km)
- September 27, 1995: Central – Girish Park (1.8 km)
- August 22, 2009: Tollygunge (Mahanayak Uttam Kumar) – Garia Bazar (now Kavi Nazrul), 5.85 km
- October 7, 2010: Garia Bazar (now Kavi Nazrul) – New Garia (now Kavi Subhash), 3 km
Check out the Kolkata Metro Expansion Plan
Well, I am waiting for the East West metro and looking forward as it will prove a mile stone for the people of Kolkata.