If I ask you, what is the existence of October 2nd in Indian history; probably you will not even think and tell that it is Gandhi Jayanti (Birthday of Mahatama Gandhi). However, very few people know that it is the October 2nd is the birthdate of Late Lal Bahadur Shastri as well. He was the 3rd Prime Minister of India, one of the great freedom fighters, the great Indian Hero, who gave the slogan ‘Jai Jawaan, Jai Kisaan.’
October 2nd is Shastri Jayanti as well
Isn’t it ironical, most of us are not aware of this fact? Moreover, I have hardly witnessed any coverage about Lal Bahadur Shastri or his birth anniversary in any newspaper or on any TV channels?
Some Facts about Lal Bahadur Shastri.
- Shastri is the title given by Kashi Vidyapeeth university in 1926 because of his excellence in studies.
- He used to go to school by swimming as he did not have enough money for transport.
- He gave up his family name because he believed that the caste system was evil for society.
- He came with the idea of using Water jets to disperse crowd instead of using lathi charge.
- He did not own a car even after becoming the Prime Minister of India
- He appointed women as conductors for the first time when he was in charge of the transport department
- As the home minister, he introduced the first committee on Prevention of Corruption
- The National Dairy Development Board was formed under his supervision
Here we have collected some links, which can help you know more about Lal Bahadur Shastri.
- Lal Bahadur Shastri @ Wikipedia
- A beautiful poem about Shastri ji.
- About Lal Bahadur Shastri @ Manas
- An excellent article about Shastri ji
- Why has history forgotten this giant?
He passed away on January 10, 1966, in Tashkent, in suspicious circumstances. If he had been alive, India would have been a different country. So, go ahead read about Lal Bahadur Shastri, and do tell others about this forgotten National Hero.