Banana Tree not only gives you useful bananas, but most of the parts of the banana tree are edible. Today we would take up the inner stem of banana, which is very rich in fiber. The dish is called as Thoder Dish or Banana Stem Dish, which is a rich fibrous and spicy dish and goes well with Rice. The banana stem can be found in the market quickly, and it looks like an off white thick stick. I have included a photo for reference.
How to make Spicy Banana Stem (Thod-er) Dish
Ingredients & Quantity: – Serving – 4 person
- Thod (Banana stem)– 250 gm
- Gobind Bhog rice – 2 tbsp
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Garam masala (powder) – ¾ of a tsp
- Bay Leaves (Tej Patta)
- Salt (as per taste)
- Sugar (as per taste)
- Turmeric powder – half tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Reference: English Name of Hindi Spices
How to make Spicy Banana Stem or Thoder Dish
- Tear off the outer layer of the banana stem, as shown in the image.
- Peel, wash, and cut the stick into roundels. While cutting the roundels, you need to take out the threads from the stem, as shown in the image with the help of your index finger.
- Cut the roundels into a half-moon and then into thin pieces lengthwise. Simultaneously put it into the water to avoid getting color change.
- Drain the water, put some salt, and mash it with your fingers properly.
- Heat oil in a nonstick or Kadai. Put bay leaf and sauté’ for a few seconds.
- Add Gobinda Bhog chawal and stir fry for two minutes.
- Add ginger paste, red chilly, turmeric powder, and cumin powder and continue to cook for another couple of minutes. Please keep the heat low
- Add the chopped banana stem and mix it well. Cover the nonstick pan or Kadai with a lid for half an hour but keep stirring at regular intervals for better results. Keep the heat at a moderate temperature.
- Sprinkle garam masala and add ghee. Mix well and serve hot.
Photos: Making Thoder dish
Mom’s Food Tip: – If the banana stem is fresh, it will leave some water while cooking. If it is so then, you can add less water than usual.
And there you go, A spicy banana dish is ready along with your delicious meal. Enjoy it!!