Mobile Number Portability launched in Haryana and probably by next year January we will have it every where around the country. The best of this is you never change your number but below are the few facts you should know about. This is applicable to all operators like Vodafone, Tata Indicom, Tata Docomo, Airtel, Idea etc.
How to switch operator using MNP facility :
- Get a Port Number : Send an SMS from your mobile to 1900 in this format PORT XXXXXXXX, where XXXXXX stands for your mobile number.
- Next you will receive an SMS which is of 8 Digit unique code for porting. This code expires after few days.
- You need to give this port number to the operator you want to switch.
- The new operator will be checking with your existing operator to find out if there is any due or if you are bound by certain restrictions.
- Once approved an SMS will be sent to you about time and date when switch takes place.
- When the porting starts, you will get an SMS from new operator and your phone number might go dead for some hours which should not be more then 2 to 3 hours.
- The MNP Switch costs you 19 RS in total.
Now to safeguard the operators part DoT has made a rule which says you cannot switch to next operator unless you have completed 90 days after switching. This not only gives you good amount of time to switch but also saves unnecessary amount of request which could have popped up without this rule in place.