The scheme of “Tatkal” by Indian Railways has proved a successful scheme, and of course, many Indians are getting benefited from it. It is an emergency reservation scheme under which people can book their Tatkal tickets just two days before the actual date of the journey, excluding the date of the travel. Earlier it was not compulsory to carry an id proof, but that has changed. Here is the List of ID proof required for Tatkal Tickets while traveling,
List of ID proof required for Tatkal Tickets while traveling
While you don’t need to provide an ID card during the booking of Tatkal tickets, you must carry one when traveling with it. According to an official release issued by the Government of Indian Railway, Now every passenger who is going on the tatkal ticket should have to carry their original identity proof while traveling. However, ID proof should be one of the following:
- Voter Photo identity card issued by Election Commission of India
- Pan Card issued by Income Tax Department
- Driving Licence issued by RTO
- Photo Identity card having serial number issued by Central / State Government
- Student Identity Card with photograph issued by recognized School or College
- Nationalized Bank Passbook with a photograph
- Credit Cards issued by Banks with laminated photograph
- Unique Identification Card “Aadhaar”
- Photo identity cards having a serial number issued by public sector Undertakings of State/Central Government, District Administrations, Municipal bodies and Panchayat Administrations.
But you do not need any ID proof when you make a reservation at the counter.
Traveling without ID proof
According to the Indian Railway, If any one of the passengers traveling without the original proof based on the Tatkal scheme, he/she will be treated as traveling without tickets and will be charged excess fare and penalty as per rules.
Is this necessary?
This scheme started after having the complaints of alleged irregularities in the tatkal system. We can say that it is one of the measures for putting to end charges of bulk booking and the role of touts in cornering such tickets.