Being a vegetarian I never had the option to go to any fish market and am sorry but it really stinks. After my two hands a half years of marriage in a Bengali family now I have tried to cook few fishes. Though I have never visited any fish market when you start cooking something you should about it.
I always think that how do they buy the best fish between the entire fish market. When asked my in-laws helped me out with few tips. Your senses need to be very active here.
Best Tips on How to buy good Fish from the market
- The eyes of the fish help to identify the freshness of the fish. If the eyes of the fish appear to be clear, bright, and bulgy it’s fresh. Cloudy and dull eyes mean that the fish has been out from the water for too long.
- The gills of the fish should be red in color. It’s not that rust-colored gills are not good. They are good but the taste will not be the same.
- The scales of the fish should be shiny and lustrous. The skin should be bright and there should be consistency in color also.
- The smell also helps you to identify. Fresh fish will always smell briny like seawater.
- Always check the fish by touching it. If you press the fish and the fish takes back its original shape then its good. If it remains indented don’t buy.
- If you are buying fish fillets the flesh should always be vibrant and should smell fresh. The color should be a fresh pinkish color.
I am sure a lot of you buy Fish, and if you any additional tips you follow every day to buy the fishes, do share in the comments.
Very helpful thank you madhusudan Banerjee kolkata