Packaged foods no doubt has made our life easier. At the rushed times these packaged foods help us a lot in adding to our appetite. Bachelors and students staying at hostels and guest houses are more dependent on them. With the latest generations packaged goods have taken over the diet. But do you know how safe is these packaged goods?
Packaged foods usually contain high trans fat, artificial flavors, sweeteners, salt etc. Trans fats found in bakery items, microwave pop corns and french fries are highly pron ed to heart attack. The artificial sugar content leads to overeating and increase in fat. High intake of salt on the other hand results in high blood pressure.
The pre-cooked foods lack in essential vitamins like Vitamin C and Vitamin B1. While packaging many essential vitamins get destroyed. The ready to eat soups which contain more of starch and salt which is again not good for health. Although nothing is displayed on the package label and the buyers think that they are safe to eat.
What you should ways check before buying the packaged foods :
- Always read the label properly. Check the expiry date or “best before” date.
- Always check the pack or the container whatever you buy visually. Check if the packets are not puffed or cans not rusted. Check if there’s any leakage in any fluid items.
- While preserving always keep the refrigerated items in refrigerator and frozen items in freezer. Always remember that once thawed don’t froze it again.
- Always try to finish the package food once open. Usually preserving it again spoils the quality and the taste of the food.
- Always check the sodium content, carbohydrate and fibre values.